Fit: Regular fit
Alec Bizby is a recent graduate from the London College of Fashion and hand makes his entire collection in his studio in Haggerston, East London. This bomber jacket features a wool body and wool mix raglan sleeves made from end of line fabric. The jacket is jersey lined for comfort and features two welted pockets to keep your hands warm.
Note: Alec Bizby makes his items to order and so items can sometimes take a little longer to reach customers.
Hand made by the designer and his partner in their studio in Haggerston.
- The wool mix sleeves are made with end of line fabric which would otherwise be wasted.
- The production of wool requires relatively small inputs of water and energy (sheep of the world, we salute you). In addition wool is longer lasting than most synthetic fibres and fully biodegradable after use.
Areas for development
Alec is currently seeking to find out more information about the production stories of the wool used for the body panel and the jersey used for the lining.
Sleeves: end of line wool mix
Fit: Regular fitPremium quality, navy t-shirt with pineapple print in 100% organic and Fairtrade certified cotton. Length 71cm in size medium.
- This Fairtrade t-shirt was made by Assisi Garments in South India. Set up by Franciscan nuns, the social enterprise provides training and employment for deaf, mute and economically disadvantaged women. Women are paid a fair wage and after three to five years of employment, the women build up their savings and receive a bonus that allows them to start a home and often their own tailoring business.
Assisi Garments high quality craftsmanship has led them to work with internationally renowned fashion designers such as Orla Kiely, Peter Jensen and Bora Aksu.
In addition to reinvesting profits to grow their business and create more jobs, Assisi Garments supports a cancer hospital and old people's home in South India.
-The cotton is organic and Fairtrade certified meaning farmers receive an average of 30% more than they do with conventional cotton. The premiums farmers receive are invested in social and environmental projects for the good of the community.
This t-shirt is made with cotton certified organic by the Soil Association under Global Organic Textile Standards. It means the product meets organic standards from field through manufacture and storage.
|Body: Shirt size||
36-38" / 91-96cm
39-40" / 96-101cm
40-42" / 101-106cm
42-44" / 106-111cm
Size & fit: 17.5" outseam | Slim fit - If you are in between sizes we recommend buying the size up as this style fits slim.
Designed to be worn all day, from the sea, to sand, to street. A 'tailored swim short' made from quick drying recycled polyester.
All shorts are made in small runs from environmentally friendly materials. In a previous life these shorts were plastic bottles.
- These shorts are made from recycled plastic bottles. The use of recycled materials reduces the need for virgin resources to be consumed and saves useful items from ending up in landfill.
- Printed in the UK using water based inks.
Areas for development
The shorts are made in Portugal. Whilst this means the factory comes under EU legislation the factory does not have any stand-out social aspects. It is a ‘regular factory’.
Unisex white t-shirt made of a soft to the touch bamboo and organic cotton blend.
Established in 2013, WDN (We Do Nothing), design and create unisex clothing made to be durable, comfortable and darn fine looking.
-Cut and sewn in a Turkish factory with a genuine commitment to workforce welfare. E.g. overtime work can only be done on a voluntary basis for a maximum of 12 hours per week.
- Factory independently accredited by the Fair Wear Foundation.
- Bamboo is a more sustainable fibre than cotton: it yields ten times more per hectare (important given that global food prices are largely dependent on how much land is available for food production) and grows fast without irrigation, pesticides or fertilisers.
- WDN Collective’s bamboo fabric is sourced from a factory accredited to high environmental standards. (Especially important given the chemicals involved in processing bamboo).
- The cotton in this blend is Global Organic Textile Standard certified.
Areas for Development
- While the inspection of Global Organic Textile Standard-certified farms for environmental purposes gives the pickers some measure of security and ensures that they aren’t exposed to harmful chemicals, this certification does not directly guarantee the working conditions of pickers.
- WDN Collective do not currently know much about the provenance of their labels.