Fit: Regular fit
There's nowhere that tastes of freedom quite as much as the mountains. Let this sweatshirt transport you to a sunny spot high up in the Spanish Pyrenees or the Sierra Nevada. The text reads 'In the Mountains -- Freedom' in Spanish.'
- Cut and sewn in an exemplary factory in Tamul Nadu, India where the management have a commitment to ethical production at the core of their vision.
Workers are fairly paid and provided with everything they need such as a medical room, free lunches and recreation space. Overtime work is only ever done on a voluntary basis and workers are not allowed to do more than 12 hours per week. (This is in stark contrast to many apparel factories where workers are regularly forced to work excessive hours to meet tight deadlines imposed by big brands).
- The factory is independently audited by the Fair Wear Foundation.
- Use of organic cotton means that pickers are not exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Organic cotton (Global Organic Textile Standard-certified) planted and harvested by hand in a region where cotton farming is predominantly rain-fed. (Cotton’s biggest environmental impact worldwide is water use. Rain-fed cotton reduces the impact on waterways).
- Factory where the sweatshirt is cut and sewn is powered entirely by renewable energy (most of which comes from 30 massive wind turbines).
- Transported without the use of air freight.
- Printed using water-based inks. (Most commercial screen printers use plastisol inks which contain PVC and phthalates that are harmful to the environment).
Areas for development
- This sweatshirt was screen printed using plastisol inks. Most commercial screen printers use plastisol inks, which are easy to use and last well. However, plastisol inks contain PVC and phthalates that can be harmful to the environment.
Idioma strive to use water based inks where possible but have found that for dark coloured products with a light print they do not provide the required effect.
|Half Chest 2,5cm below armhole (cm)||48||50||53||56||59|
|Body length (cm)||68.5||69.5||71||72.5||74|
Sold Out - £22.40 £32.00
Fit: Regular fitPremium quality, navy t-shirt with pineapple print in 100% organic and Fairtrade certified cotton. Length 71cm in size medium.
- This Fairtrade t-shirt was made by Assisi Garments in South India. Set up by Franciscan nuns, the social enterprise provides training and employment for deaf, mute and economically disadvantaged women. Women are paid a fair wage and after three to five years of employment, the women build up their savings and receive a bonus that allows them to start a home and often their own tailoring business.
Assisi Garments high quality craftsmanship has led them to work with internationally renowned fashion designers such as Orla Kiely, Peter Jensen and Bora Aksu.
In addition to reinvesting profits to grow their business and create more jobs, Assisi Garments supports a cancer hospital and old people's home in South India.
-The cotton is organic and Fairtrade certified meaning farmers receive an average of 30% more than they do with conventional cotton. The premiums farmers receive are invested in social and environmental projects for the good of the community.
This t-shirt is made with cotton certified organic by the Soil Association under Global Organic Textile Standards. It means the product meets organic standards from field through manufacture and storage.
|Body: Shirt size||
36-38" / 91-96cm
39-40" / 96-101cm
40-42" / 101-106cm
42-44" / 106-111cm
Size & fit: 17.5" outseam | Slim fit - If you are in between sizes we recommend buying the size up as this style fits slim.
Designed to be worn all day, from the sea, to sand, to street. A 'tailored swim short' made from quick drying recycled polyester.
All shorts are made in small runs from environmentally friendly materials. In a previous life these shorts were plastic bottles.
- These shorts are made from recycled plastic bottles. The use of recycled materials reduces the need for virgin resources to be consumed and saves useful items from ending up in landfill.
- Printed in the UK using water based inks.
Areas for development
The shorts are made in Portugal. Whilst this means the factory comes under EU legislation the factory does not have any stand-out social aspects. It is a ‘regular factory’.
Unisex white t-shirt made of a soft to the touch bamboo and organic cotton blend.
Established in 2013, WDN (We Do Nothing), design and create unisex clothing made to be durable, comfortable and darn fine looking.
-Cut and sewn in a Turkish factory with a genuine commitment to workforce welfare. E.g. overtime work can only be done on a voluntary basis for a maximum of 12 hours per week.
- Factory independently accredited by the Fair Wear Foundation.
- Bamboo is a more sustainable fibre than cotton: it yields ten times more per hectare (important given that global food prices are largely dependent on how much land is available for food production) and grows fast without irrigation, pesticides or fertilisers.
- WDN Collective’s bamboo fabric is sourced from a factory accredited to high environmental standards. (Especially important given the chemicals involved in processing bamboo).
- The cotton in this blend is Global Organic Textile Standard certified.
Areas for Development
- While the inspection of Global Organic Textile Standard-certified farms for environmental purposes gives the pickers some measure of security and ensures that they aren’t exposed to harmful chemicals, this certification does not directly guarantee the working conditions of pickers.
- WDN Collective do not currently know much about the provenance of their labels.