Enjoy our favourite ethical and sustainable men's clothing for the breezy month of January. We search far and wide to bring you menswear that leads the way on form, function and social and environmental impact!
The regular dunn is a tapered regular fit, constructed from recycled cotton and organic cotton.These jeans feature the Mud Jeans signature painted logo patch allowing for a 100% vegan jean.
Mud Jeans have worked with the best denim craftspeople to produce a high performing, sustainable denim line.
Please note: Mud Jeans hold small quantities of stock and receive regular top ups from their factory. On occasions where this results in a delay in fulfilling your order we will email you to let you know.
- Use of recycled materials
- Short supply chain with long-term partners
- Mud know all partners personally and visit them regularly.
Recycled denim fabric: Royo, Spain
Royo is a very impressive company with social and environmental goals embedded in the company culture. Royo carry out the dying and weaving of the denim fabric and source the yarn from Recover who they have collaborated with on a denim upcycling programme.
Certifications: Recycled Standard, Certificate (GRS) by ICEA, Textile Exchange Member, Better Cotton Initiative (BCI) Member, Signatory of the UN Global Compact
Stitching and washing: Yousstex, Tunisia
Yousstex was audited by the Fair Wear Foundation in 2015 who noted that the management was attentive to working conditions.
Factory visits are Mud Jeans main tool for ensuring working conditions at Yousstex are good. Mud’s head of product Dion Vijgeboom visits the factory every few months and has built a good relationship with the factory owner, Mr. Habib . Any issues that arise can be discussed in an open and productive manner. Dion reports that workers work eight hours a day, five and a half days a week. Medical care and transportation are provided free of charge. The factory environment is safe and workers enjoy air conditioning in summer and heating in winter. Workers report they are paid fairly and on time but common to many garment factory workers would like to receive a higher salary.
Environmental impact and materials
The use of recycled denim reduces the amount of virgin cotton that needs to be grown. Cotton is a resource intensive crop and some report that it can take 20,000 liters of water to produce 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of cotton.
The virgin cotton used in these jeans is organic. This protects the environment and also farmers who may suffer ill health when coming into contact with the intensive fertilisers and pesticides used in conventional cotton production.
Mud jeans feature a unique printed pocket patch which avoids the need for a leather or faux leather patch.
Brothers We Stand has received evidence that the major suppliers involved in the production of these jeans all have wastewater treatment plans in place.
Areas for development
We would like to see Mud continue to support and encourage the formation of an active workers committee at Yousstex, the factory where their jeans are stitched.
Further questions? Please email email@example.com
40% recycled jeans, 60% organic cotton
|Size||Waist (cm)||Inside Leg (cm)|
Still got questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fit: Regular fit
We’ve selected the Silverstick Nias sweatshirt for its superior quality. Made from the finest long staple yarns this crew neck combines exceptional softness and durability. Classic raglan sleeve design, a round neckline with v-neck detail and woven patch label.
Recommended Washed at 30° and Hung Dry
- The Nias Sweatshirt is made in a small factory just outside Guimaraes in the district of Braga in Northern Portugal. The factory was established in 2008 and employs 16 people. Portugal is a member of the EU and labour laws are strong. In general the Portugese textile industry is well respected as providing safe working conditions and decent hours.
- Silverstick have visited the factory to check quality and working conditions for themselves and keep in close contact with the factory.
- The Nias Sweatshirt is made from GOTS certified organic cotton (Global Organic Textile Standard) which is farmed, graded and bailed in Utter Pradesh, Northern India.
- The Nias Sweatshirt is made by a factory who specializes in high quality jersey wear. It is made with long staple yarns and is a highly durable item which can be enjoyed for many years.
- All Silverstick garments are made from non azo dyes. Azos are a class of compounds used in textile dyes, some of which have been found to be harmful. Existing European legislation bans the use of these unhealthy azo dyes and all Silverstick clothing is certified azo and chlorine free, in accordance with Õko-Tex Standard 100 and ISO 17050-1.
Areas for development
While the inspection of Global Organic Textile Standard-certified farms for environmental purposes gives the pickers some measure of security and ensures that they aren’t exposed to harmful chemicals, this certification does not directly guarantee the working conditions of cotton pickers.
|Chest Size (inches)||36-38||38-40||40-42||42-44||44-47|
Fit: Medium fit
Throwing down a little onomatopoeia with this New Zealand inspired T-shirt. Patapata ua is the rather wonderful Maori way to say raindrop. Pitter-patter, patapata.
Crew neck organic t-shirt made in a Fairwear Factory. Designed and screen-printed in the UK.
- Idioma have partnered with a sourcing agent who help emerging designers source sustainably and ethically. The t-shirt was cut and sewn by one of four factories the agent works closely with in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The agent has its own team on the ground in Dhaka who visits the factories daily to monitor working conditions and ensure that nothing is subcontracted out to un-regulated factories.
In addition to these policies each of the factories is independently audited by the Fair Wear Foundation and GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard).
A bright future for the Bangladeshi garment industry - Flags flying outside one of the sourcing agencies Bangla partners.
- Use of organic cotton means that pickers aren’t exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Organic cotton. The GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certificate means that all stages of production from growing to knitting and sewing of the t-shirt meet organic standards and don’t use any harmful chemicals.
- Idioma’s sourcing partner encourage factories to employ strict waste control and use energy efficient machines
Areas for development
- As the sourcing agent do not own the factories and the factories also produce for other clients they do not have the power to determine worker pay. However the sourcing agency practices ‘open book’ accounting with suppliers to ensure that it pays enough for all workers to receive a living wage and educates factory management about the benefits of doing so (higher staff retention, less absenteeism, fewer quality issues, higher worker satisfaction, enhanced productivity).
- This t-shirt was screen printed using plastisol inks. Most commercial screen printers use plastisol inks, which are easy to use and last well. However, plastisol inks contain PVC and phthalates that can be harmful to the environment.
Idioma strive to use water based inks where possible but have found that for dark coloured products with a light print they do not provide the required effect.
|Half Chest 2,5cm below armhole (cm)||48||51||54||57|
|Body length (cm)||69.5||71.5||73.5||75.5|
|Sleeve Length (cm)||19.5||20.5||21.5||22.5|
Dimensions: 48 x 26 x 20cm
The Elvis & Kresse Overnight bag is made from genuine decommissioned fire-hose and has a reclaimed military-grade parachute silk lining. Previously deployed in active duty for up to 25 years, fighting fires around the UK, the hose is perfectly robust for an overnight bag. The wide mouth opening means you can get all your belongings in and out with ease..
What can you fit in there?
Well both Kresse and Elvis use it as an overnight bag: Wash kit, change of clothes, pair of running trainers, a book, keys, wallet, iPhone etc...
Elvis and Kresse run their own production facilities allowing them to ensure working conditions meet their high standards. They have one site in Kent, England and one in Turkey.
The use of reclaimed materials reduces the need for virgin resources to be consumed and saves useful items from ending up in landfill.
Reclaimed fire hose is sourced from brigades across Britain, keeping carbon miles low.
Fit: Regular fit
Unisex We Do Nothing Mountain Sweatshirt in marl light grey with large light teal design on front.
Established in 2013, We Do Nothing create organic garments for the in-between moments, times when we stop and let the mind go still.
Will wears size XXLarge, he is 6ft. Pia wears size Large and is UK 10
- Cut and sewn in an exemplary factory in Tamul Nadu, India where the management have a commitment to ethical production at the core of their vision. (Workers are fairly paid and provided with everything they need such as a medical room, free lunches and recreation space. Overtime work is only ever done on a voluntary basis and workers are not allowed to do more than 12 hours per week. This is in stark contrast to many apparel factories where workers are regularly forced to work excessive hours to meet tight deadlines imposed by big brands).
- Factory independently audited by the Fair Wear Foundation.
- Use of organic cotton means that pickers are not exposed to harmful chemicals.
- Organic cotton (Global Organic Textile Standard-certified) planted and harvested by hand in a region where cotton farming is predominantly rain-fed. (Cotton’s biggest environmental impact worldwide is water use. Rain-fed cotton reduces the impact on waterways).
- Factory where the t-shirt is cut and sewn is powered entirely by renewable energy (most of which comes from 30 massive wind turbines).
- Transported without the use of air freight.
Areas for development
- We Do Nothing do not currently know much about the provenance of their labels.
- Printed using plastisol inks. (Most commercial screen printers use plastisol inks, which are easy to use and last well, but contain PVC and phthalates that are harmful to the environment).
|Half Chest 2,5cm below armhole (cm)||48||50||53||56||59|
|Body length (cm)||68.5||69.5||71||72.5||74|